PLEASE NOTE: You are viewing a legacy website for AdvantageWest, which has closed due to the loss of state funding. However, you may find valuable links and information as you browse the site. Be aware that this is provided for archival purposes and may become outdated over time. Some features and navigation elements may also become disabled. Please see the box below for more information.
Closure of AdvantageWest
After 21 years of serving Western North Carolina, we regret to inform you that AdvantageWest has closed, due to the loss of state funding.
But thanks to the partnership of other organizations in the region, the following programs and initiatives continue:
* Blue Ridge Food Ventures continues under its new "parent," WNC Communities. The website remains here and the phone number is unchanged: 828-348-0130.
* Advantage Opportunity Fund and ScaleUp WNC: These entrepreneurial funding and development programs have been adopted by Mountain BizWorks and continue under the direction of Matt Raker, who has joined the MBW staff.
* The Outdoor Gear Builders of WNC trade association founded in part by AdvantageWest also continues with assistance from Mountain BizWorks.
* WNC Film Commission's database of film locations and crew were transferred to the NC Film Office, which also manages all inquiries.
* The Certified Entrepreneurial Development© program, which had previously been suspended, has been revitalized by Creative Economic Development Consulting.
* The "AdvantageWest Collection" of physical and digital files, news clippings, annual reports, and other items of historical significance are now located at the Western Regional Office of the State Archives of North Carolina and can be accessed by anyone seeking information on AdvantageWest or researching general economic development in the region.
* The "AdvantageWest Economic Development Fund" has been established at the Community Foundation of Western North Carolina to support grants that promote and create improved economic opportunity in the region. Email here for information on how to contribute to, or apply for, funding.
This legacy website contains information about Western North Carolina that you may still find to be valuable, so feel free to browse around. Thank you again for your partnership and support. It has been a privilege to serve the citizens of Western North Carolina.